Delhi Panel Finds Max Hospital Found Guilty of Not Following Medical Norms

Max Hospital

They were part of the team that was allegedly associated with Thursday's incident in which a baby who was declared dead was later found to be alive.

Following the incident, Union Health Minister JP Nadda had spoken to the Health Secretary in connection with the hospital's medical negligence. A short time after his birth, the baby was declared dead.

The babies were placed in plastic bags and the family was driving to the crematorium when they saw movement.

Recalling the ordeal, he said, "We were given two babies in one yellow-coloured polythene bag".

Police said they are investigating the case and the hospital's treatment of babies. "We wish to clarify that this action should not presuppose finding of any lapse by the expert group and should not be construed in any way to be anything other than an expression of our continued commitment to providing quality healthcare", the hospital said in its statement.

Adding to the controversy, the child's father, identified by Delhi-TV as Ashish, said physicians told him Wednesday that his wife, Varsha, needed an operation for bleeding. The doctors wanted more money to improve her chances of surviving.

"We have made a decision to terminate the services of the two treating doctors, Dr. A. P. Mehta and Dr. Vishal Gupta in the case relating to the twin extreme pre-term babies", the hospital said Saturday, adding that the case will be investigated with input from the Indian Medical Association. "Our hospitals are equipped with state-of-art ... machines to ensure that you have access to all medical facilities", its website says.

The hospital, with more than 300 beds, is one of 14 in the Max Healthcare locations across India.

The association is conducting an inquiry along with hospital officials.

KK Aggarwal, the head of the IMA, said the episode was a tragic mistake.

"There is definitely a mistake", he told Asian News International.

Petrified, Kumar has now refused to take the body of his child, in an act of protest, and demanded that the two doctors allegedly involved in the "medical negligence" in the case be arrested. "I don't think any doctor will do it wilfully", he said.

Related News: