New Windsor deadly fire victim identified

   BLAST At least 13 people – including fire fighters – have been hurt in the explosion

The fire broke out at Verla International on Temple Hill Road between Industrial Way and Hempstead Road, Record Online reports.

An explosion ripped through the Verla International Ltd. cosmetics factory in New Windsor, N.Y., around 10:15 a.m. on November 20, injuring approximately 25-30 employees and killing one.

There was no word on a cause.

Police said the first explosion occurred around 10:15 a.m. Monday at the Verla International cosmetics factory, about an hour's drive from New York City.

Employees fled the 52,000-square-foot cosmetic manufacturing plant.

One employee had remained unaccounted for following the first explosion Monday morning.

"DEC takes seriously our responsibility to ensure that all companies are complying with appropriate regulations for chemical and hazardous waste management", said DEC Commissioner Basil Seggos. The state also will investigate working conditions and regulatory compliance at the plant.

As responding firefighters entered the building, they were met with a second explosion, "which injured seven firefighters", Casey said.

Town Supervisor George Green confirmed an explosion and a secondary explosion happened in the plant.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo says state emergency response teams have been sent to a Hudson Valley cosmetics factory where two explosions and a fire have injured 20 people.

The company manufactures private label nail polish and other cosmetics.

State health, police and environmental officials were sent to the scene to monitor any secondary effects from the explosion such as a decline in the air quality. Photos from the scene:Vails Gate firefighters are now at the scene fighting the fire, as well as hazmat teams.

The three-alarm fire is bringing out fire departments and EMS personnel from across Orange County. Emergency officials have issued a shelter-in-place alert for people who are in the immediate area of the plant.

In 2013, the company reached an informal settlement with OSHA for two serious, one repeat and one "other" violation.

Related News: