Sherin Mathews left home alone night before disappearance; mother in custody

006a6414a64f402c916ac5314672d579 Sherin Mathews Adoptive Mother Moved To Dallas County Jail

Police arrested the mother of Sherin Mathews, the 3-year-old Texas girl who went missing last month before she was found dead near her family's home, according to reports.

Sherin Mathews, 3, was reported missing on October 7.

According to People magazine, 35-year-old Sini Matthews was arrested Thursday and charged with abandoning or endangering a child.

Wesley Mathews later changed his story, claiming that he was trying to get Sherin to drink her milk, but that she wouldn't listen to him and when she finally complied he "physically assisted her in drinking the milk", but that she began to choke and after coughing for a while her breathing slowed.

Sherin's body was later discovered in a drainage ditch October 22 near the Mathews' home.

Sini, a nurse who works at Children's Medical Center Dallas, could face different or additional charges, Perlich said on the case which has been widely reported in the global media. An itemized restaurant receipt showed that the family only purchased two adult dinners and one child's meal.

Earlier this week, Wesley Mathews' attorney, David Kleckner, said his client loves his children and wife and that he's a good family man who wants custody of their surviving daughter to be returned to her mother.

With Mr. Mathews in jail, Mrs. Mathews had been battling for care of the couple's 4-year-old natural little girl, who had been moved into child care after Sherin's passing.

The arrest warrant released by the Richardson Police Department revealed events that occurred the day before three-year-old Sherin Mathews was reported missing.

Wesley told detectives he left his daughter home because he grew frustrated after she refused to drink her milk, the affidavit says.

Sherin was reported missing from the couple's Richardson home on October 7. Days later, they identified the body as Sherin. Bail has been set at US$ 250,000, police said. Bail has been set at United States dollars 1 million. The Dallas County medical examiner has not yet ruled on the girl's cause of death. "It's not necessarily related to her death, it's related to her care that she was being given while she was in that home". She also sought a probe into the adoption process of Sherin, who was adopted by the Indian-American couple previous year from Bihar. "This was purely based on what we were told by Wesley", said the officer, noting that Mathews has previously changed his statement three times as to what happened on the night Sherin died.

Related News: