Saudi UN ambassador denies Yemen embargo

UN says Saudi's closure of Yemen's seaports undoes progress in fight against famine and cholera

"There is no embargo", Ambassador Abdallah Al-Mouallimi said.

"There is no embargo", he said.

The United Nations on Tuesday dismissed the Saudi demand that strict inspections be put in place at Yemen's Hodeida port before it lifts the blockade.

Flights between Egyptian capital Cairo and Yemen's port city of Aden resumed after an 8-day hiatus, according to an official of Yemen's national flag carrier on Tuesday.

Al-Mouallimi also accused the Houthis of diverting humanitarian aid "to fulfill their own requirements" and "to trade in the black market and achieve exorbitant profits at the expense of the Yemeni people".

After the blockade by the Saudi-led coalition, the United Nations has warned that already catastrophic humanitarian crisis in Yemen was worsening each day as the country 90% depends on exports for daily necessities.

Saudi Arabia and its allies have said the tightening of restrictions on Yemen is a direct response to a missile attack against Riyadh earlier this month, claimed by the Iran-backed Huthis. The Saudi closure had drawn worldwide condemnation and fears of a worsening humanitarian disaster in Yemen.

"I would like to draw your urgent attention to the extremely appalling situation in Yemen, caused by aggression, indiscriminate targeting of civilians and a blockade, imposing intolerable suffering on the Yemeni people", Mohammad Javad Zarif wrote, calling for worldwide action to end the mass destruction in Yemen, according to a transcript of his remarks posted on the Foreign Ministry's website.

The mission's announcement came in a statement early on Monday.

"We would like to confirm that steps are being taken by the coalition, in full consultation and agreement with the government of Yemen, to start the process of reopening airports and seaports in Yemen to allow for the safe transfer of humanitarian actors and humanitarian and commercial shipments". More than 2,000 Yemenis have died in a cholera outbreak now affecting almost one million people, AFP reported.

On November 4 Saudi Arabia said it intercepted north or Riyadh is said was sacked from Yemen - blaming Iran for the incident, Saudi authorities accused Iran of "declaring war" on their country.

Saudi Arabia and the USA have accused Iran of supplying the ballistic missile used in that attack.

Iran denies arming the Houthis and blames the conflict in Yemen on Riyadh.

Related News: