Green Beret Killed in Niger May Have Been Executed


This joint investigation is part of a broader review being led by multiple agencies across the U.S., Africa and Europe that are looking to uncover how the ambush came about.

La David Johnson, the Army soldier killed in Niger in the deadliest combat mission during President Trump's tenure, was found with his arms bound and a vicious head wound, which many view as evidence that he was executed.

Johnson was one of four US soldiers and five Niger servicemen killed in an October incident, but Johnson wasn't found for two days after he went missing.

Boubacar went to the area, a bushy site about a mile from where the ambush took place, and found Johnson's body face down and said the back of his head looked like it had been hit with some object. He said Johnson's wrists were bound and he had an injury in the back of his head, possibly from a bullet, the Post reported. After that, Boubacar told the village chief and Chief Mounkaila Alassane relayed the information to the Nigerian military forces. Alassane said Johnson was only wearing socks; his shoes were missing.

The soldier's widow, Myeshia Johnson, was told not to view her husband's body when he was returned to the USA, advice usually given when a body is badly damaged.

The ambush occurred on October 4 as a unit of 12 American special forces soldiers and 30 Nigerien troops returned from the village that is near the border with Mali, according to USA military chief Gen. Joe Dunford. The paper said that suggestion is often made when remains are badly disfigured. Staff Sgts. Bryan C. Black, Jeremiah W. Johnson, and Dustin M. Wright were found in or near a pickup truck, according to the report.

The Pentagon said that those men were killed in action and that their bodies were found within hours of the firefight.

Other details of the attack remain hazy.

As reported by The Root, the Pentagon is now investigating the circumstance of the attack.

There was no immediate word from the Pentagon or the White House about the Post's story.

The soldier widow, Myeshia Johnson told the Post the US military advised her not to view her husband's corpse.

Related News: