United States company to search new Indian Ocean site for MH370

MH370 disappeared with 239 people on board in March 2014 en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing. File

Malaysia is negotiating a "no find-no fee" deal with a United States company to renew the search for downed flight MH370.

'Ocean Infinity will focus on that part of the sea floor, ' Mr Chester said.

Chester said that he was careful about raising the hope of the families of the people on the missing flight MH370 and he said he hoped the new search was successful.

But it said in an email to CNN that it was ready to " take on the economic risk of renewed search.

Global maritime laws meant Australia had carriage of that search and was not obliged to consider the newly-suggested areas, so no new search was attempted.

MH370 was carrying passengers and crew from 14 different countries when it disappeared, most from China and Malaysia.

Once the negotiation was completed and the terms and conditions agreed upon with the "Ocean Infinity", he said the Malaysian Government would seek an agreement from the governments of Australia and China to proceed with the search for Flight MH370, in the spirit of tripartite cooperation.

He added, "I hope that this new search will bring answers, both for the next of kin and for the rest of the world".

When the offer was first mooted in August, a support group comprised of families of the missing victims welcomed it, describing it as "win-win".

The ATSB issued its final report on the search earlier this month.

In December a year ago, an Australian government report confirmed that teams searching for the missing aircraft had been very likely been looking in the wrong place.

This contradicted an earlier announcement by Australia's transport minister which claimed the contract had already been awarded to Ocean Infinity.

After almost three years of combing the ocean without success, the Malaysian, Chinese and Australian governments in January made a decision to suspend the search for the jetliner until "credible new information" is available.

At the time it was suspended, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau released findings from global and CSIRO scientists which identified a smaller 25,000sq km area with "a high probability" that it contained the aircraft.

While the main body of the crafts remains unknown but the stray debris to the aircraft has been found.

The Boeing 777 aircraft disappeared on March 8, 2014, and is thought to have been diverted thousands of miles off course out over the southern Indian Ocean before crashing off the coast of Western Australia.

Related News: