Trump's Travel Ban Is Reportedly Being Replaced With Even More Restrictions

World       by Mahmood Idrees | Published

President Donald Trump is expected to replace a travel ban that targeted immigrants and refugees from six Muslim-majority countries with a new, broader system that imposes limits on a country-by-country basis.

Trump's travel ban faced a series of legal challenges that are to be heard by the supreme court in October.

Over the last few months, the departments of State, Homeland Security and Defense have studied security levels in numerous countries, evaluating their passport procedures and how willing they were to share information about criminals and potential terrorists with US officials.

Shah said the president is reviewing a list of countries, presented to the White House on September 15 by the Department of Homeland Security, that do not meet revised standards for the types of information that must be shared with the USA on visa applicants.

Taylor noted that the current "screening and vetting" is "no longer adequate to combat terrorism", and said terrorists are seeking to "exploit our defenses".

Officials said Trump had not made a final decision, and they did not say when he would. Carl Risch, assistant secretary of State for consular affairs, said the department would be ready to issue guidance to USA embassies and consular offices around the world.

Trump suggested the ban be expanded following a deadly attack in London earlier this month.

Trump's original travel ban blocked all travel to the U.S.by refugees and nationals of seven predominantly-Muslim countries, including Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

The Trump administration is planning to introduce tailored limits on travel to the USA from certain countries as a replacement for its controversial travel ban, according to a senior administration source with knowledge of the plans. Trump had required an "aggregate and finish shutdown of Muslims entering the United States" amid his crusade.

A travel ban protestor holds a "We Heart Refugees" sign at the Los Angeles International Airport, January 2017.

It was unclear which countries could be targeted under the new restrictions or how many would be affected.

Justice Department spokeswoman Sarah Isgur Flores said the department was continuing to defend the executive order but could not comment on the ongoing litigation. Another DHS official said that these new guidelines are not to punish foreign governments. In July, he added, the US communicated that new baseline to countries across the world. We encourage all travelers and family members of travelers to read our Know Your Rights resource to ensure that you are fully informed of your rights at USA airports across the country. Other changes were made to allow the order to survive court scrutiny. But some were either unable or unwilling to give the United States what it needed, Taylor said. Countries that improved their standards will not face restrictions for the time being.

Taylor said the restrictions Duke recommended are temporary and not time-based, meaning they could be lifted if the nations come into full compliance with the new standards. But people from countries that did not meet the requirements may not be allowed to enter the United States, or may face other travel restrictions, he said.

Omar Jadwat, an American Civil Liberties Union lawyer who has argued against the ban in court, said politics, not national security, would likely decide the issue.

Related News: