Day care worker arrested in boy's death makes first court appearance

WFTVA vigil was held in Orlando Fla. Aug. 8 2017 for a 3-year-old boy who was found dead in a van outside a daycare center

Temperatures reached a high of 94-degrees Fahrenheit (34.4 Celsius) in Orlando on Monday.

An Orlando day care employee was arrested Thursday afternoon and charged with aggravated manslaughter in the death of a 3-year-old boy found dead in a van, reports CBS affiliate WKMG.

Orlando police Chief John Mina said Myles was supposed to have been dropped off Monday morning at another day care center but instead he was taken to the location where his body was later found.

Police said the former daycare worker left the toddler in a scorching hot van for over 12 hours.

According to a Florida Department of Children and Families inspection report last month, Little Miracles was cited for not keeping track of children being transported.

"If you leave your child with someone, that person has the responsibility of taking care of them", she added.

As news of the death spread, Little Miracles would not answer its phones, and local news media reported that its facilities were closed. After failing to do a headcount, she drove to the day care's other location on Plymouth Road and got out without checking the vehicle, police said. Thornton owns two facilities, and they have both been shut down pending a thorough investigation. "We will continue to aggressively act to keep kids safe and will hold anyone accountable who doesn't follow the law".

She begged Myles' family for a chance to explain what happened.

The van is used to both pick up and drop off the kids at their home. Another number for the day care's president found in state Division of Corporation records was disconnected.

"This investigation could have been better", he said.

"Tragedies like this can be avoided", Mina said.

During the past five years, there have been five, including one in central Florida, the death of Myles Hill earlier this week. A family member told CNN affiliate News 13 that they called the facility on Monday to ask about uniforms, and Myles' attendance never came up. "Just imagine a 3-year-old child in a van, windows up, no water, nothing".

In June 2015, the DCF found that staff had failed to include a signed Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Requirements form in its personnel records.

Related News: