Ole Miss Gets Date for NCAA Hearing

Ole Miss granted motion to dismiss former head football coach Houston Nutt's lawsuit

Freeze, athletic director Ross Bjork, former assistants Maurice Harris and Derrick Nix and members of the school's compliance department have been called to appear.

The lawsuit was dismissed by U.S. District Judge Neal B. Biggers Jr. without prejudice, meaning it can be refiled. One of those is a lack of institutional control.

Nutt tried to obtain an apology from Ole Miss, but when he did not get one, he chose to sue. Ole Miss in return, questioned the validity of Lewis' testimony, calling into his credibility into question after he said former Ole Miss assistant coach Barney Farrar and others provided him with cash and free merchandise.

A United States district judge dismissed Houston Nutt's federal lawsuit against the University of MS on Tuesday, according to the Clarion-Ledger's Antonio Morales.

Nutt's attorney, Thomas Mars of Little Rock, released a statement Wednesday acknowledging the federal suit's dismissal.

Nutt's lawyers say they'll refile the lawsuit in state court next week.

Nutt's attorneys reportedly presented a potential settlement to the school last week that would have required Ole Miss to publicly apologize to the coach and spend $500,000 to fund a state integrity for college sports commission.

Sources told ESPN that Mars also asked for other stipulations to settle the case, including the payment of legal fees.

A date is set for Ole Miss' meeting with the NCAA's Committee on Infractions.

Of the Rebels' 21 acknowledged violations, 15 are Level I's, the most serious under NCAA rules.

Even though the federal lawsuit has been dismissed, its damage to Ole Miss was substantial.

Error! There was an error processing your request. The number was connected with several advertisements for female escorts.

Freeze, 47, guided the Rebels to a 39-25 record and two New Year's Six bowl appearances in five seasons.

Related News: