UAE arranged for hacking of Qatar government sites, sparking diplomatic row

The United Arab Emirates has denied it was behind the alleged hacking of Qatar's state news agency in May.

The incident helped spark a diplomatic rift between Qatar and its neighbours.

UAE Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Anwar Gargash told the BBC on Monday the Post's report was "untrue".

Federation Internationale de Football Association also denied receiving any request from the six countries for removing Qatar as World Cup hosts.

The hack included attributing false statements calling Iran an Islamic power and speaking positively about the militant group Hamas, to Qatar's emir Sheikh Tamim Bin Hamad al-Thani.

Last month, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, UAE and Bahrain cut diplomatic ties with Qatar and imposed a sea and land blockade on it, accusing Doha of supporting terrorism.

In late June, Kuwait acting as a mediator in the crisis, handed over to Doha the ultimatum of the four Arab states with 13 demands, including the requests to severe Qatar's relations with Iran, close Turkey's military base in Qatar and shut down Al Jazeera TV channel, as well as to end support for the Muslim Brotherhood, a terrorist organization banned in Russian Federation.

Responding to claims made by U.S. intelligence officials in a Washington Post article, Yousef Al Otaiba, the UAE's ambassador to Washington rubbished the story as "false".

The US intelligence officials told the Post it was unclear whether the UAE authorities had hacked the Qatar News Agency itself or paid a third party to do it.

"What is true is Qatar's behaviour". Funding, supporting, and enabling extremists from the Taliban to Hamas and Qadafi.

The FBI, CIA as well as Britain's NCA, all of whom have been working with Qatar to investigate the QNA hack, are yet to comment on the matter.

Abu Dhabi denied the accusation, with its Washington envoy calling the Post story "false" in a statement.

Related News: