The Walking Dead pay emotional tribute to stuntman John Bernecker

A scene from the seventh season of AMC's

Production on season eight of The Walking Dead has temporarily shut down in the wake of the accident, believed to be the first fatal accident related to a stunt in almost two decades.

Bernecker suffered blunt force trauma to the head and was flown from the scene to Atlanta Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead, Hawk said.

The "Walking Dead" family suffered a tragedy Wednesday after stuntman John Bernecker died following an on-set accident.

A statement from SAG-AFTRA, a union that represents media workers, on Friday said Bernecker was an "accomplished" stuntman and called his death a "tragic and untimely loss".

After the tragic incident, representatives from the network and hit show extended their condolences to the bereaved family of the stuntman.

Bernecker's girlfriend Jennifer Cocker is reportedly upset with The Walking Dead production, and told TMZ: "Sets need to be safer".

"Although devastated by their loss, John's loved ones have ensured his legacy will live on, not only through the personal and professional contributions he made during his life, but also by their generous decision to allow John to save lives as an organ donor". The 33 year-old man was immediately helicoptered to the hospital in Atlanta. It will also feature the TV series' 100 episode that will be helmed by executive producer Greg Nicotero who consistently directed all the season premiere since season 4. Bernecker's credits include "The Fate of the Furious", "Black Panther", "Escape Plan 2: Hades" and "Logan".

"The family of John Bernecker is heartbroken to confirm that John has passed away from injuries sustained earlier this week", the statement said.

According to Deadline, OSHA and SAG-AFTRA have opened an investigation into how and why the stunt went wrong. Our thoughts and prayers are with the performer and his family.

Related News: