Philando Castile family reaches $3M settlement in death

Mother of slain black driver gets $3M deal with US city

The family of Philando Castile, a black motorist who was shot five times during a traffic stop in Minnesota a year ago by a police officer, reached a $3 million settlement with the city of St. Anthony, according to media reports.

Many at the meeting also weren't satisfied with the almost $3 million settlement the city paid to Castile's mother, Valerie - not because of the amount of money, but because they feel the payout is a reactive and not proactive way to fix the city's problems.

The settlement was done in favor of a federal wrongful death suit that could have taken years to resolve. Castile had a permit for the gun but did not disclose that information to Yanez, who told jurors during his trial that he feared for his life when he opened fire.

The shooting gained widespread attention after Castile's girlfriend livestreamed its aftermath on Facebook.

The statement from the city and Ms Castile's attorneys says no taxpayer money will be used to fund the settlement.

Michelle Gross, president of Communities United Against Police Brutality, said that although additional information about the shooting might have been divulged in a civil trial, the settlement saves the family from further trauma.

"No amount of money can ever replace Philando", said Castille family lawyer Robert Bennett.

One of Mrs Castile's legal representatives said she did not want a trial to "exacerbate and reopen awful wounds".

The foundation provides financial support, grief counselling and scholarships to individuals and families affected by gun violence and police deaths.

Jackson later said that Castile "should have never reached for that weapon", despite any supporting evidence that Castile did reach for his gun. He also said the city of St. Anthony has a commitment to make positive changes to their police department.

And a Wisconsin jury last week acquitted a former police officer in the murder of Sylville Smith, a 23-year-old man who was carrying a pistol during a brief foot chase that ended with Dominique Heaggan-Brown fatally shooting him. According to squad-car video that captured the shooting, Castile said: "I'm not pulling it out" before Yanez fired seven rapid shots.

Reynolds later said Castile was reaching for his wallet. The department serves the cities of St. Anthony, Lauderdale and Falcon Heights, where the shooting occurred. City Manager Mark Casey did not return a message seeking comment.

Yanez testified that he pulled over Castile, 32, for a nonworking brake light and in order to check whether he was the suspect in a recent armed robbery.

Related News: