Manchester attack: Father of bomber had no clue

Britain slams US leaks on Manchester terror attack investigation

Britain's politicians resume campaigning in earnest on Friday with national security in the spotlight, as police scramble to bust a Libya-linked jihadist network thought to be behind the Manchester terror attack.

Some LIFG members and supporters fled Libya in the 1990s to Britain and like Abedi settled in Manchester, home to a large Libyan community.

Tillerson said during a trip to London on Friday that the US "regrets" the leaks, which British officials complained had led to the publication of sensitive information.

Police have reviewed security at more than 1,300 events over a weekend that includes a number of football matches at Wembley and an athletics meeting in Manchester.

With Britain's terrorism threat level at "critical", meaning a new attack may be imminent, police are working around the clock to try to deter another atrocity.

After the arrest of another suspect on Friday, eight men are now being detained in connection with the bombing.

A 16-year-old boy and a 34-year-old woman who had been arrested were released without charge, police said.

Grande also posted a link to the Red Cross and Manchester Evening News' fundraising appeal to support the families of those killed and injured in the bomb attack.

Trump and Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May attend the unveiling ceremony of the Berlin Wall monument at North Atlantic Treaty Organisation headquarters in Brussels, on May 25, 2017.

"We greatly value the important relationships we have with our trusted intelligence, law enforcement and security partners around the world", Manchester's Chief Constable Ian Hopkins told reporters Thursday.

When home-grown terrorists attacked London subway and bus lines in 2005, some blamed Britain's involvement in the Iraq war.

London police say extra security is being added for major sporting events this weekend including the FA Cup Final at Wembley Stadium.

"His friend, also of Libyan descent, died after being stabbed by British youths in Manchester in May 2016, the source said on condition of anonymity".

British officials say that have received assurances from US authorities that confidential material will be protected.

Fawzi Haffar, a trustee of the mosque, said Abedi had not worked or worshipped there.

Among them was Abd al-Baset Azzouz, a father-of-four from Manchester, who left Britain to run a terrorist network in Libya overseen by Ayman al-Zawahiri, Osama bin Laden's successor as leader of al-Qaeda.

"These images leaked from inside the United States system will be distressing for victims, their families and the wider public".

Many Manchester residents responded early on Tuesday with offers of shelter and details on locations where displaced concert-goers had been taken in.

Related News: