Father and brother of alleged bomber detained in Libya

Manchester Arena blocked off following an attack during an Ariana Grande concert.                       CNN

So far, five people have been arrested in the United Kingdom in connection with the bombing, while Abedi's father and brother were taken into custody in Libya.

The morning after the attack, police had said they believed that the suspect, 22-year-old Salman Abedi, a British citizen, had carried it out alone and had died in the blast he triggered. She said he had been known to security forces "up to a point".

Numerous victims were young girls who idolize Grande.

Government officials said almost 1,000 soldiers were deployed to Buckingham Palace, Parliament and other high-profile sites across the country.

That effort so far includes the arrest of a 23-year-old man in connection with the attack and two warrants - one in Whalley Range and the other in Fallowfield - Hopkins said.

In the statement, the force says that the 20-year-old engineering student had been planning to launch an attack of his own in Tripoli and that after his arrest Tuesday night, Hashim confessed to ties with the Islamic State and knowledge of his brother's alleged plans for the Manchester attack.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth held a moment of silence at a garden party at Buckingham Palace.

The Palace of Westminster, which houses the British Parliament in London, was also closed Wednesday to all those without passes, and tours and events there were cancelled until further notice. Armed police were seen on patrol outside St. Paul's Cathedral in London, another popular tourist spot.

Chelsea, the title-winning soccer club in England's Premier League, called off a planned victory parade through London.

He hit one of the softest of targets: a mostly young crowd pouring from the exits after the show, police said.

"Clearly, this was a pretty sophisticated and powerful bomb", a high-ranking Western government official told NPR, explaining that officers believe Abedi received help with the attack.

Armed officers raided the address of Abedi, today, ordering residents indoors as they carried out a controlled explosion. Neighbors recalled him as a tall, thin young man who often wore traditional Islamic dress and did not talk much.

But shortly after the interior minister complained, The New York Times newspaper again scooped British authorities and other media by publishing photographs from the scene of remnants of the bomb. The anti-terror force said the father had not been charged, but was taken in for questioning. Before that, he said, a number of different families had been living at the property.

"There was a policeman, armed policeman, shouting at my neighbor. and I realized there is something wrong here", he said.

Rudd revealed the frustration going on inside the probe to find the suspected network behind bomber Salman Abedi. "I haven't seen police come to his house".

In 2011, Abedi returned to Libya during the mass uprising that descended into a civil war and ended with Gadhafi's ouster and death.

Although the LIFG disbanded, Haroun says the father belongs to the Salafi Jihadi movement, the most extreme sect of Salafism and from which al-Qaida and the Islamic State group both hail.

The prime minister said the national terror threat level is being raised from severe to critical, which means another attack is expected "imminently".

Rudd had earlier scolded US officials for leaking details.

The British police have been very clear that they want to control the flow of information in order to protect operational integrity, the element of surprise.

Soldiers will be deployed to key sites in Britain to boost security as the country raised its terror threat to the highest level of "critical" following a suicide attack in Manchester that killed 22 people, including children.

Waszczykowski also said that another Polish citizen was wounded and had undergone surgery in a hospital.

The school said Olivia, reportedly 15, had been with a friend who has since undergone surgery to treat injuries sustained in the explosion. Rouse said many of those hospitalized had serious wounds that would require "very long term care and support in terms of their recovery".

Related News: