Caffeine overdose is extremely rare - but here's how it can happen

A sad story out of SC that's still raising a lot of questions.

That's about four cups of coffee, ten cans of soda, or two energy shot drinks. Experts say those under 18 shouldn't be consuming more than 100 milligrams of caffeine a day.

Dr. Rozmus told News 4 the caffeine acts as a stimulant and may reveal or excite conditions even if you have not had previous cardiac problems, but as always, moderation is key. "Other responses to that people can have nausea, vomiting and significant headaches". That much caffeine, almost 500 milligrams, caused the teen's heart to beat so abnormally his body couldn't get enough blood to his brain to keep him alive.

Some energy drinks contain more than 200 milligrams of the stimulant, he said.

"If you're having any sleep habits at all, I would encourage you to really limit your caffeine consumption, particularly after lunch", says Dr. Matthew Standridge M.D., a doctor at TMH Physician Partners - Southwood. Most 16 oz. energy drinks, including Monster, Rockstar, and Venom, contain 160 mg.

"That would definitely quickly kick your heart rate up, and if you have some (underlying) cardiac arrhythmia, it just might fall into a pattern where it speeds up just enough to have a fatal arrhythmia". Energy drinks contain about 300 mg of caffeine.

Adults can consume up to 400 milligrams of caffeine per day without any adverse affects, according to Health Canada. But it was something legal that led to his death- caffeine.

"The American academy of pediatrics recommends no caffeine for children and adolescents".

However, it suggests daily caffeine intake for this age group should not exceed 2.5 mg/kg body weight.

Agus says energy drinks send more than 20,000 people to the emergency room annually.

Caffeine is both a drug and a food additive, according to the Food and Drug Administration. "Adults don't need probably as much as we drink as well, but it's just something to be aware of", said Smith.

"We worry about their safety, their health, especially once they start driving, but it wasn't a auto crash that took his life, instead it was an energy drink", Cripe said in a press conference on Monday, as he lamented the unsafe and unlikely cause of his son's death. "I think you should use them with caution, if at all".

Related News: