Man arrested over Borussia Dortmund team bus attack

Police cars stand in front of a house where the suspect of the bombing attack on team bus of Borussia Dortmund was arrested in the early morning in Rottenburg, Germany, April 21.

Police in Germany have arrested and charged a man suspected of being behind the attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus on April 11. Spaniard Marc Bartra, who plays for Borussia Dortmund, was hospitalized as a result of injuries sustained in the blasts.

He was arrested by a police tactical response team in the Tuebingen area and faces charges of attempted murder, causing an explosion and serious bodily harm. If the value of the shares fell, then his options would have gained up to €3.9m as a result of a large drop in Dortmund's shares.

Investigators believe the 28-year-old concocted the attack in order to injure as many players as possible in an attempt to get rich by speculating on the ensuing Borussia Dortmund share price collapse.

Prosecutors said there is no indication that the suspect was aided by others.

Ralf Jager, the North Rhine-Westphalia state's minister of the interior, said the suspect had hoped to earn millions.

According to German media, Sergej W bought 15.000 put warrants for € 78.000 and could have gained nearly € 4 million as a result of a large drop of Borussia Dortmund's shares.

Prosecutors told the BBC that the suspect did not have any links to a terrorist group, but was a market trader hoping to make money if the price of shares in the Dortmund team dropped.

A policeman on a motorcycle escorting the bus suffered trauma from the noise.

The explosives used in the attack contained metal pins - one of which buried itself into a headrest on the coach.

Investigators found notes at the scene claiming responsibility in the name of Islamic extremists, but quickly doubted their authenticity.

The man later placed three bombs in a hedge on the road that the team bus was due to take to the stadium, according to prosecutors. The game was postponed to the next day.

The man wasn't an Islamist, but sought to short-sell shares in the soccer team.

The club thanked authorities in a statement.

The fact that, aside from Bartra, "no others were wounded or even killed, was - as we know today - exclusively due to huge luck".

Related News: