Photographer Attempts to Save Lives After Deadly Explosion in Syria

Photographer Attempts to Save Lives After Deadly Explosion in Syria

"The scene was awful - especially seeing children wailing and dying in front of you", Mr Habak told CNN.

Picture the moment: You are a photographer working in Syria when a bomb rips through a convoy of busses carrying refugees to safety from towns besieged by civil war.

The injured boy, who was around seven-years-old, was left with paramedics but Habak does not know whether he survived his injuries.

When he checked the first child, the little one was already dead.

But standing at the side and taking photos of conflict, injury and death is regularly justified by the attention the resulting images spark and awareness they raise.

According to a CNN report, after a bomb attack on a bus took place (it killed reportedly 126 people), photographer and activist Abd Alkader Habak left his camera to rescue numerous children.

"He was bleeding. So I ran towards him".

But the boy, around age 6 or 7, was alive - so Habak scooped him up in his arms and fled, his camera in one hand recording the rescue.

Still camera in his hand, Habak picked up the boy, and ran towards an ambulance, which took him to a hospital inside the rebel-held area.

"So I decided along with my colleagues that we'd put our cameras aside and start rescuing injured people", he added.

The suicide auto bomb attack was reportedly carried out by a man who enticed children waiting near the buses at a checkpoint at Rashidin, near Aleppo, to come closer to his vehicle by handing out crisps and candies, several rebel and regime media sources said. The reporter was in Rashidin, in west Aleppo where civilian evacuation was underway. Shortly after the terror attack last week in which 126 people were killed, Habak chose to take down his camera and to help evacuate the wounded.

That's when the photographer came across charred body of another child on the ground.

"It wasn't just Abd Alkader crying, other journalists did too, I turned my face away and started crying too", Alrageb, 21, told NBC News. "What my colleagues and I witnessed is indescribable".

Related News: