Man died charging iPhone while in bath, inquest told

Tragic At the inquest at the West London Coroner's Court the coroner issued a warning about using the'innocuous devices which can be'as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom

Police who investigated the scene said they found an extension cord running between the hallway and the bathroom.

As the foreign media reported, the deceased was found out by his wife, Tanny, who initially thought that her husband had been attacked by viewing the extreme burns on the body.

The postmortem into the fatal accident, which happened in December 2016, revealed burns on the right arm and right hand of 32-year-old Bull, the coroner said.

Safety campaigners have warned about the dangers of charging mobiles near water following the inquest.

Steve Curtler, a product safety manager, told the BBC that devices such as iPhones and laptops have relatively low voltages of between 5V and 20V, which people would be unlikely to be electrocuted by if they came into contact with water. He was electrcuted when the device made contact with the water. Bringing an electronic device into the bath while it's plugged into an outlet is probably something you would avoid doing, but as unwilling as many of us are to walk away from our phones even for an instant, it's not almost as surprising as it probably should be that this happened.

"You're wet, which conducts electricity a lot better; you're in the bath with no clothes on, so skin resistance is less. You're risking death", Sheila Merrill, the public health adviser to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said.

When you are younger you are taught about electricity and the bath, but you don't think about this. "It's not advisable to use them while they're plugged in, particularly in a bathroom situation".

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Related News: