Man Wrongfully Convicted of Murder Released From Prison After 32 Years

Andrew Leander Wilson with his attorneys. Courtesy Loyola Law School

"I've been inside for 32 years, three months and 14 days".

Wilson has been in prison all those years.

When Wilson, now 62-years-old, was ushered by deputies into the courtroom in handcuffs, he fist-bumped one of his attorneys and smiled at the law students seated in the audience.

But on Wednesday, a Los Angeles judge ordered him free "as soon as possible" after prosecutors concluded that he did not get a "fundamentally fair trial".

Wilson was elated to be free.

Mr Wilson says he "doesn't have time" to be angry at those who put him in jail.

Laurie Levenson is from the Loyola Law School's Project for the Innocent. The information they found showed the prosecution had withheld information during the murder trial.

Wilson maintained his innocence since his arrest in 1984 for the stabbing death of 21-year-old Christopher Hanson in Los Angeles. His girlfriend Saladena Bishop was also in the truck.

Ms. Davis told Davis told KABC-TV by phone: "I prayed for what I thought was the impossible". According to the Loyola team, Bishop picked Wilson out of a lineup only after a police officer suggested he may be the assailant; prior to Wilson's trial, Bishop was regarded as an unreliable witness because she once falsely accused another person of kidnapping and attempted rape. She was the prosecution's only eyewitness. The group reports the district attorney's office has announced it does not intend to re-prosecute Wilson.

Wilson has paid a heavy price.

He was greeted by family members, some of whom he had never met, when he was released from LA's Men's Central jail.

"That's a waste of time, being bitter", he said. I'm ready for him to come out of those doors, and just. this be all over with. His daughter's eyes filled with tears when asked what it was like when she heard he was finally getting out. "But I still have a parent". A court will decide in May whether Mr Wilson should now be ruled innocent of the crime. "The system we're living in, you never know what's going to happen. We've always been a hopeful that one the grace of God today is that day".

Fly to St. Louis to visit his 96-year-old mother, who never doubted his innocence. "He was not informed of his rights, just taken in", Davis penned in a letter outlining her account of her son's case and different people involved. The private investigator she hired didn't seem to help, she said, and efforts to get media to investigate the case were disregarded, she said.

She's almost 100 years old, but a Florissant mother has spent 32 years of her life separated from her son.

Wilson's sister Gwen chimed in with proof.

"I sent it to the Justice Department", Davis said.

Related News: