Man in Tennessee fatally shot by police as he streamed encounter online

Louisiana man killed in officer involved shooting in Tennessee

Rodney James Hess, 36, of New Orleans was streaming on Facebook Live when he was shot Thursday afternoon, his family said in their own Facebook posting. He was asking them for help and they shot him down'.

Hess was taken to an area hospital where he later died.

Hess' videos do not show him attempting to hit the officers who responded though part of the interaction with police does not appear to have been recorded. The 17-minute recording is relatively quiet and shows the vehicle moving before the first Crockett County deputy arrives.

Hess allegedly attempted to run deputies over twice during this unstable period, he added. That video stops shortly after police arrive and park near Hess' vehicle.

And Provost said she could tell from the video exactly what was happening.

In the live video that remained posted to Hess' Facebook page as of Friday morning, he spoke to one of the officers through the window.

Hess' fiance, Johnisha Provost, told Commercial Appeal that her soon-to-be husband was not looking to commit suicide and had mental problems. Gunshots are heard, and Hess is heard screaming in pain while driving and appearing to crash the vehicle. Then the police patrol in a black SUV entered the scene.

After he was shot, he was able to drive off and crashed.

Rodney James Hess was fatally shot by police while parked in his SUV on the side of the road.

Check out the Facebook livestream of Hess' death and reaction to it below.

Hess was shot by police after deputies surrounded his vehicle as seen on his Facebook Live stream.

"In this and all investigations, the TBI acts only as fact-finders", DeVine said.

Josh DeVine, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation Public Information Officer said: "Though we are aware such a video exists, we can not confirm its authenticity".

Hess had a New Orleans address, and authorities initially weren't sure what he was doing in Tennessee. Hess, who suffered from bipolar disorder, was trying to find someone who could help him.

The TBI will hand over the findings of the investigation to 28th District Attorney General Garry Brown, who will decide whether to send the case to a grand jury, DeVine said.

Related News: