Prosecutors: Murder suspect watched woman die for 30 minutes

Liam Mc Atasney has been charged with first-degree murder and felony murder

Taylor, McAtasney and Stern were classmates at Neptune High School and graduated in 2015.

McAtasney, 19, has been charged with first-degree murder, first-degree felony murder, first-degree robbery, second-degree desecration of human remains and second-degree hindering.

During last week's hearing, Taylor's father, Jeremiah Taylor, testified that after his son's arrest, he removed all of Preston's belongings from a residence he shared with McAtasney and "washed and folded everything".

McAtasney was accused of strangling Stern to death in her home, robbing her of "large quantities of cash" she had withdrawn from her bank account, moving the body with the help of his friend Preston Taylor and throwing the victim off of the Belmar bridge, leaving her vehicle abandoned to lead authorities to the preliminary conclusion that Stern had jumped.

According to Superior Court Judge David Bauman, there's no basis under the statute or court rule to reopen the detention hearing. "He admitted that he pretended to make their friendship more than it was so that people would not focus on him as a suspect".

'He's basically going to be the custodian of him, ' Perrone said.

McAtasney sat shackled in the jury box during Tuesday's hearing, as assistant prosecutor Meghan Doyle laid out why he should not be offered bail.

Authorities and prosecutors claim that Taylor first obstructed the criminal case by denying knowing anything about the woman's disappearance when he spoke to detectives on December 7.

He is also accused of robbing Ms Stern of thousands of dollars. He then enlisted Taylor's help in the cover-up, prosecutors have said.

'He cooperated because he got caught, ' Doyle said.

Preston Taylor, 19, of Neptune City, is charged with disposal of human remains, conspiracy and hindering apprehension in the death of Stern, whose body has yet to be found. Taylor was Stern's childhood friend and went to junior prom with her.

Stern's auto was found parked, with the keys in the vehicle, on the Route 35 bridge over the Shark River connecting Neptune and Belmar shortly before 3 a.m. on December 3.

"She was murdered", Doyle said in court, "and her body was dumped by her friends".

"For the two months after that, this defendant spent the entire time calculating every one of his moves to continue to cover up the murder and death of Sarah Stern", she said.

Authorities have said that after Stern was murdered, the two men threw her body into the Shark River off the Route 35 bridge in Belmar.

Related News: