Four Israeli Soldiers Killed in Truck Ramming

Four Israeli Soldiers Killed in Truck Ramming

At least four Israeli soldiers have been killed and several more wounded after a truck rammed into the troops in Jerusalem with authorities calling it a deliberate attack.

Palestinian security officials in the city of Ramallah confirmed that the driver was a Palestinian from the East Jerusalem neighbourhood of Jabal Mukaber.

Visiting the attack site, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said there was strong evidence the attacker was a supporter of the Islamic State group and suggested a link to previous vehicle attacks in Europe.

In November, Israeli Defense Forces said they killed four militants linked to IS after they attacked Israeli soldiers with a machine gun mounted atop a vehicle in the Golan Heights.

The attacker came from a neighborhood where many past assailants lived. And security footage broadcast on Israeli television shows a white truck driving off the road and onto the promenade, barreling into the group of young soldiers and then very quickly driving in reverse, apparently to try to run over more soldiers. Others were shot dead during protests or clashes, while some died in Israeli air strikes on the Gaza Strip.

Records show that last year's attacks by Palestinians have killed 36 Israelis and two American tourists.

Meanwhile, The Jerusalem Post reported that the Israeli security cabinet had convened in the wake of the attack and chose to withhold his body, reject family reunification requests of some of his relatives in Gaza and the occupied West Bank, and carry out a punitive demolition on al-Qunbar's home as soon as possible.

The circumstances of the Hebron attack were much different.

Israeli police investigates the scene of an attack in Jerusalem Sunday, Jan. 8, 2017. A civilian tour guide who was one of the first to open fire openly questioned why those around him didn't do more.

He said there "definitely could be a connection" between Sunday's incident and recent truck attacks into crowds in Berlin and in Nice, France, but did not offer any proof, the Associated Press reported. It is incumbent upon the Palestinian leadership to root out the incitement to terror that continues to spread among its population, infecting its youth with the hunger to destroy Israelis and Israel itself.

The Palestinian Hamas movement praised the "attack" but did not claim responsibility, according to AP.

Hamas spokesman Hazaem Qassem lauded the attack on his Facebook page, saying, "These operations demonstrate that all attempts to bypass the resistance or to thwart it will fail every time". In a subsequent tweet, she added that "There is simply no justification for such a cowardly act and I call on Palestinian leaders to reject it without reservation".

"Jews around the world are standing in solidarity today with Israelis in this time of terror of fear", he said in a statement.

Related News: