Flag firefighters raised at ground zero returns to site

It became a stamp and a symbol. "We then began working with our contacts in NY to develop a plan to return and preserve the flag".

New York City officials tried to find the original, but were unsuccessful. It would travel to naval ships in the Middle East, and in 2002 it returned to City Hall.

It is believed that the flag was hanging on the pole of a yacht moored at a small marina just west of Lower Manhattan on the morning of the World Trade Center attacks. For starters, this flag was 5 feet by 8 feet.

For Tom Franklin, the Bergen Record photographer who took the famous picture on September 11, 2001, it's fitting that the flag is back near Ground Zero, where the first responders found and hoisted it 15 years ago.

How it disappeared remains a mystery.

An American flag raised at ground zero on September 11 in a defining moment of patriotic resolve took its place at the site Thursday after disappearing for over a decade.

He added: "Our goal was to determine whether there was evidence to suggest that this was the ground zero flag and then work to reunite the flag with its owner". Since its opening in 2014, the Museum displayed a large photograph of the three firefighters lifting the flag above the rubble as part of its historical exhibition. In it, he said, they'd found a clue, which led to another dead end. He said video footage from the area taken five hours later shows it was not on the flagpole. Their insurance company reimbursed them, after the flag was taken by the firefighters on September 11, and subsequently lost.

Shirley Dreifus told The New York Times she was saddened that her husband died two years ago and could not share the news.

He said that he began to examine the particles from the flag and compared with the dust particles captured from ground zero after the attack and during the cleanup. Others suggest it was stolen. However, on November 4, 2014, a man known only as "Brian" arrived at a fire station in Everett, Washington and was holding a plastic bag. "This will be a once-in-a-career for me, that's for sure", said St. Clair.

"In a museum that's filled with such deeply powerful artifacts, this newest of artifacts is certainly one of the most emotionally and historically powerful", museum President Joe Daniels said as the display was unveiled Thursday, three days before the 15th anniversary of the terror attacks. That story has been called questionable. The original flag, according to the article, was 3-by-5-feet in size.

Related News: